Thursday 26 May 2011

Oops - Nearly Missed It!


John has nipped to the post office for me, so the DVD of scans is winging its way to Egmont at last (phew), but I nearly overlooked something important...

While I was doing a last-minute check through my illustrations, looking for bits of text I might have missed for my overlays, I spotted the crocodiles. When I did the actual artwork, we hadn't finished designing the Baby Goes Baaaaa! cover, so I illustrated it as my best guess, based on discussions at that stage:


Once we had done the cover re-design, using the spotty, coloured text, the lighter yellow etc, I was able to alter the illustration on the digital scan, to match the new look:


I spent ages tinkering in Photoshop, creating a miniature version of the book. One challenge was not making it too neat: trying to make it look like it would if I'd been restricted by the pastels.

BUT... I suddenly realised this was not very co-edition friendly! So I have gone back and 'fudged' the wording somewhat.


I'm hoping that, if you have the British version of the book, and so know what you are reading, it still makes sense, but if you are looking at a co-edition, the text won't look obviously English...

2 comments:

Jean said...

I have tried to use photoshop I have very little success. I guess I need photoshop for dummies. Your illustrations are fabulous. Colors are perfect.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you Jean. Yes, it's a bit complicated at first and you definitely need a book of tutorials to get your head round it. Then it's all about repeating certain tasks until they become second nature - most people find out about what they need to do, then just use there own tiny corner of Photoshop and remain ignorant of the rest.