Saturday 28 May 2011

Back to the Drawing Board...


Now the artwork scans for Baby Goes Baaaaa! are out of my hair, I've been trying to work out what on earth I am going to draw for the sequel. Book 1 is about sounds, so I thought book 2 could be movement. Babies LOVE to imitate, so a series of simple actions, using the same cast of animals as Baby Goes Baaaaa!, should be good fun and just as interactive.

The idea started to crystalise a couple of weeks ago, but I had barely begun to think about it, when those pesky scans hit the doormat. But at last I have got away from the computer, picked up a real pencil and drawn on some actual paper.


I decided to try the big sheet of paper system again, to free my mind. Of course, starting something new is never easy and I immediately began sighing, finding displacement activities (like this) and wishing I could do something nice and mindless, like some digital tinkering...

It's going quite well by now though. Once that first, painful day is over, it always starts to flow again. So John has crept out from under cover!

(by the way, I think you can now click to enlarge my images - try it out for me!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it works, great!

June said...

Yay! Images now enlarge :o)

And what a treat to be able to see those first sketches. Far more substancial than anything I produce when I am brainstorming my ideas onto paper. Mine are mostly unidentifiable scribbles... but I know what they mean.

Alex said...

The scratching dog is my favourite!

Elina Ellis said...

WOW! That is a lot of beautiful sketches! They all look very funny!!! I think it is a great idea to work on the big piece of paper. You can get a much better feeling of what you are trying to achieve. I have to say, I love your blog and everything you do! You are a real inspiration for me!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you Elina - what a lovely comment!