Sunday 8 May 2011

The Scans are Back Already!


On Thursday the postman delivered me a little package with BIG content: all my artwork for Baby Goes Baaaa!, squished down onto one little DVD, ready for the digital 'finishing' work to begin. Super-quick scanning, Egmont!

Sarah, my designer at Egmont, started the ball rolling with some ideas about how the cover might look. She played around with the scanned image of my cover artwork and suggested this:


These things are very much a team effort, and she asked me to play around with it in turn. I suggested a more golden yellow, to make it more punchy, and put in the back cover text, to get an idea of overall composition:


I really love Sarah's suggestion of the spotty title, but I wondered if it might work better if it's a little simpler, without the red keyline. I've also moved the frog round to a better angle. He was originally only going to have his top half peeking out, but we managed to fit him all in.

Sarah came back to me later in the day, suggesting a middle-yellow, and also the idea of matching the spotty text more closely to the colours of the lamb's baby-grow, both of which seem good improvements:


This final design idea is now going to be shown to the Editor and sales team, to get the final go-ahead, before I do the actual digital work on the high-res versions of the scans. Let's hope they like it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the entire process. Just can't wait to find it on stores.
THANK's!!

June said...

Gosh! That is one very busy cover.
I'll admit, I like the lighter yellow :o)
I hope the sales team approve it quickly for you.

Alicia said...

I love reading about the whole creative process. Thank you so much for sharing!

Alicia Padrón said...

It's looking so cute Lynne! I like the last yellow too. Not too soft, not too bright, so it helps the characters pop.

I love the polka dot text resembling the lamb's cloths and I think you were right about the red line, it works much better without it.

One of the things I like the most is the text swirling behind the scooter. Very cute! :o)

Jean said...

What's not to like! Very creative and full of fun. Can't wait to hear the final results.

Clipping Path said...

Love those scenes .

Remove White Background said...

Everyone'll like those scene .

Robert smith said...

This blog is so interesting and impressive