In the last 6 months, I've been playing around with images borrowed from ancient cave paintings, like the recently finished piece above, layering colour and overlaying stitching to echo the build-up of layers of time around cave art.
It was far more representational than my usual work, but it got me thinking in new ways and I began trying things out.
Mostly, I have no idea where I am going, or any expectations about specific outcomes: it's pure exploration again, which is of course, great fun. It's creative play as much as anything, using the materials I have and seeing what I can do with them:
As soon as I got home, I got the book out of the library. I created a paper 'thread', twisted it into a distorted coil, then bound it around with coloured embroidery cotton. To add a complimentary rhythm, I stitched on little red thorns, which were very fiddly:
I decided to work bigger for the next piece, which worked on a similar shape, but was created from fabric, bound around fairly thick wire, to make it stronger and easier to work:
This time the embellishments were more delicate. I 'wove' little spines, by repeated knotting, and used dilute PVA to make the thread ends hold their shape. I was thinking about the way undersea objects get weathered and colonised by creatures, like barnacles and anemones.
The two things came together and I felt the need to create something based on the wing shapes. I began binding more wire...