Saturday 1 April 2017

Yahoo - I'm Going to Sketch in AUSTRALIA!!!


Yes, I have some REALLY BIG news! Early next year, my urban sketching work is taking me all the way to AUSTRALIA to be artist-in-residence at the Centre for Transformative Work Design, which is a new research centre at the University of Western Australia. How exciting is that?


I will be based in Perth and will be working for two months with a team of occupational psychologists. They are interested in using my on-site drawing to document and comment on work practices in all kinds of different jobs, from hospital surgery, to mining. They are interested in how the 'design' of our jobs affects how we feel and hope I can help convey how various work designs can make the same job feel very different; how good and bad technological solutions can shape people's work experience and impact on stress levels; how things such as autonomy, or endless repetition,  make the day-to-day experience of a job feel very different.


I am going to be drawing various themes too. We'll look at jobs which are dying out and jobs which are changing, becoming jobs of the future. I'll be drawing stressful work, meaningful work, innovative work practices, work that has been redesigned for the better (or worse).

They are interested in the way that my sketching can capture people's emotions and thoughts. Also the fact that a sketch can follow the passage of time, to help to get across aspects like a job's relentless demands, or long periods of boredom, or maybe lots of variety through the day. They also want to help people think about the jobs they do in terms of the specific attributes of the work, rather than their occupation title.


It is all very interesting and I have already begun to think in a wider way about what work is. I love that there is so much new understanding associated with this reportage work. Can't wait!

16 comments:

dinahmow said...

Wonderful! You couldn't be further from me! Never mind, you will,I'm sure, love Perth and environs. One "must do"? Rottnest Island, home of the qwokka.And maybe Margaret River, home of some fine wines!

pedalpower said...

This is fantastic news! They certainly picked a wonderful sketcher for the project!

Ginny Stiles said...

This is absolutely fascinating...I have never heard of anyone looking at sketching in quite this way.
Do you think you could enlarge the print on your blogs slightly? I have a really hard time reading them.

Anonymous said...

WOW...what a fabulous project...and very valuable research too....the design of a building or space has such an impact on the way we feel. Looking forward to your insights....would love to catch up and sketch with you (if you have time when you're here) and show you around our lovely city - Urban Sketchers Perth :)

Roy DeLeon said...

Congratulations. Just reading what they expect from your residency scares the beejeezus out of me. Glad you are up for the challenge. I will not say good luck, because apparently you are Lady Luck. So - have a ball and can't wait to see and read your sketchstories. Bless you and your eyes, hands, sketching materials, and heart, Lynne.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Congratulations what wonderful news. Will you be preparing your folding sketchbooks for this trip, or relying on buying sketchbooks out there? (Perhaps this is a little too soon to be thinking of that, but is how my brain works, lol) :)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks so much everyone.

I will be creating concertina sketchbooks for the project, as I did last year. It's the only way to get exactly what I need. More wrestling with enormous rolls of paper. I'll do it in Perth though - I'll have enough to squeeze in my case as it is!

Faye - I'm so pleased you have made contact. I have been sending you messages through Facebook, without any luck. We will definitely have to hook up. How often does Usk Perth meet? Are you a big group? I will have most my weekends to do my own thing, so it would be lovely to have you show me the nicest places to sketch.

Can't wait!

Wendy North said...

What a fantastic opportunity. I hope you have a wonderful time.

Shari Blaukopf said...

What wonderful news Lynne. You will do such an amazing job, much like last year in Manchester. Very big congrats on this!

Sandra Powers said...

Congratulations!!!
From what I've seen of your work, they have definitely chosen the right person! We don't really know each other, but if we did , I am so proud of you and the impact you will make on the work forces!!! The idea, that this Organization has come up with, is astronomical! They must really care so much about the workers that, so often, go unnoticed and very much unappreciated! I've never heard of such a concept like this, before. It is really awesome!
I know you will do this new position justice! You have the ability, the outlook, and the concern for humankind! You will do for them what they expect and give them your best! This is YOU! The BEST😀‼🌹

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne
Great to make contact with you....I've replied (hopefully) on facebook. Currently USk Perth meet monthly but always add extra meetings when we have visitors (woohoo!)...we have a core group of about 6 sketchers who are regulars + other people depending on their commitments. We usually meet weekends, occasionally during the week....I know that we'll have keen sketchers to show you around our lovely city and share the sketching experience....we're really looking forward to your visit. Fay :)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks so much folks. I woll post blogs from Perth, as I go along, so you can see how it's going.

Dina na China said...

congratulations. Is a very interesting project. Please let us know how will go on . Sure will be good for the patients

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks Dina. No patients though - just people at work. Unless they are so stricken by what I draw, they take to their beds :-D

Unknown said...

Hi Lynne,
It'll be lovely to have you here in Australia!
Will you be running any workshops/talks in Sydney?
Thanks,
Sofya

Lynne the Pencil said...

I will indeed be running workshops. I was thinking of travelling to Sydney, but that now looks unlikely. I will certainly being doing one in Perth. I will start a mailing list for this sometime soonish. In the meantime, watch this space or Facebook. Or, you could email me and I'll keep your details until later, when I know what I'm doing.