Tuesday 10 May 2011

The Great Sheffield Art Show


I'm enjoying the fact that there are lots of different things going on at the moment. Yesterday I was working on Baby Goes Baaaaa!, and today I am teaching at Hallam University. Well, actually I am assessing, for 2 whole days, marking the major projects for the Illustration 3rd year degree students I've been working with recently. Scary responsibility!

On Sunday though, I was asked to help out as a judge, selecting the artwork to go into Sheffield's big, annual open exhibition: the Great Sheffield Art Show. It's something I've never been asked to do before and it sounded like fun.


I arrived as the last of the artwork was being delivered by hopeful artists. While I waited for my job to kick in, I whipped out a sketchbook and did these rapid sketches tucked in a corner, trying to keep out of the way, while framed watercolours, massive canvases, pots, sculptures and creations of all shapes and materials were collected and sorted by volunteers, then carried into the selection hall.


There were 4 judges and we worked in pairs, walking round, tagging the artwork as 'yes''possible' or 'rejected'. We then moderated the other pair's decisions, and vice versa.

Once the selections were finalised, all the judges and other volunteers were treated to a delicious lunch. It was lovely to meet new people, to chat about life and art over dainty sandwiches, fresh pineapple, buttered scones and a glass of wine - yum!


After the scoffing, all entry forms had to be tagged to match the artwork, so that correct hanging fees could be charged. Then everything was given a label and a catalogue number. I stayed on to help out, partly to better earn my lunch, but mainly because I was really nosy to see how it all worked! 

As I left at 3pm, a queue of artists snaked right across the car park, waiting to pick up their work and eager to hear how they'd got on. I was dreadfully curious to wait and find out who had created what (both good and bad), but the sun was shining again, so the garden was calling... 

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I can't imagine how inspiring it must be to be surrounded by so much creativity all the time! You are definitely living my dream :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Be sure to check out the upcoming event 'Artists for the Red Cross' in Sheffield.

This is a unique exhibition and silent auction of original pieces of art by renowned Northern artists to promote the work of the British Red Cross and to raise funds for the services that we provide to people affected by crisis locally in South Yorkshire and overseas.


The event is taking place in the Winter Gardens, Sheffield, from 2 - 4 June 2011.

Check out the website: www.redcross.org.uk/artauction