Saturday 12 August 2017

Class One Farmyard Fun - My Final Picture Book


Class One Farmyard Fun is out in paperback at last - hurrah!

There's generally about a 6 month delay after the hardback, which always feels like forever. Plus of course it's AGES since I was creating the artwork.


This is, of course, another book I've created in partnership with the amazing Julia Jarman. I always enjoy bringing her fabulous, crazy stories to life. They absolutely explode with fun, so that wonderfully silly pictures burst into my head as soon as I read them.  


This particular title is the third in the series about school trips which stray somewhat off-piste. It's a great idea and, of course, kids love the way the teachers are never quite equal to the situation (and get eaten, tossed into the air, seduced by pirates...)


I have a bit of sad news to share with you all too: this is the very last picture book that I will be illustrating. I have been a freelance illustrator, working in pastels, since 1987. Wow, that's 30 years. How scary. I worked in editorial initially - my first children's book was published in 2000: anyone remember the Show at Rickety Barn?


It's not that I am retiring, it's just that 30 years is long enough to do a job where you spend all day every day on your own at a desk. I am having so much fun now, with my new reportage work, getting out and about with my drawing, meeting new people all the time and learning new things, illustrating the world as I find it. And of course, it is increasingly taking me to new exciting places, like Australia next year!


So, though it is quite sad to be at the end of an era, after over 30 picture books, it's also very invigorating to be at the beginning of something new, especially given that I am getting so excited about my new textile artwork too.

Wish me luck!

11 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

I have ADORED your children's book illustrations and learned so much from following that journey! But I can understand now how much WORK illustrating is. WHEW. I wish you well on your newer journey into the world of "reporting" and of sketching and journaling. I am so happy that you share with us all as we are all inspired by your work.

Candy Gourlay said...

That really is very sad to hear – for us readers! But we are also excited to find out about your next adventure. Best of luck and all the joy!

Darlene K Campbell said...

My best to you for new creative adventures...I love your reportage work too. And we'll always have your books. Cheers-

Unknown said...

Wishing you all the best with your new direction, which I am sure will be as successful if not more so judging by the work I've seen so far.

Julie Fulton said...

I echo Candy - really sorry not to be seeing any more new work from you in the realm of picture books, but what an exciting time for you. Best of everything in your future work and thanks again for showing me on the SCBWI PB retreat that I can draw a little bit!

Anne-Marie said...

Happy and sad it's true! How wonderful a life of creating you will continue going where your heart leads you. Such an inspiration. I've realised with your announcement I've been illustrating from editorial, product and package and in publishing since 1985, full time since 1988. Crazy isn't it when you look back! I look forward to keeping up with the next part of your creative journey! Love all the work you do.

Juliet Clare Bell said...

Very best of luck, Lynne.I really enjoyed the picture book retreats with you but really good for you for doing what you want to do. Congratulations on all your exciting new work. Clare x

Julia Jarman said...

Boo hoo from me, Lynne! I'm sad to think there will be no more books together, though - who knows? - perhaps we can collaborate on something innovative and adult? Here's wishing you the very best of luck with your new adventures. You have so much talent - and so many! - I look forward to hearing about your multiple successes.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks SO much everybody. I've known in my heart that I was ready to move on for a while now, so it feels good to have made it 'official'. The end of one thing and the beginning of another :-)

Anezka said...

Hi auntie Lynne, I am very sad to hear that you are no more a children's book illustrator. I have always loved your books. Yours Anezka xxx

Lynne the Pencil said...

Hello Anezka! Yes, sorry about that. Don't worry - I expect there are still quite a few around that you haven't read yet, so plenty to keep you out of trouble for a while :-)