Wednesday 15 July 2009

Signed Books Can't Be Returned!




You don't get paid for events in bookshops, but it means they order a supply of your books (these days, unless you're a best-seller, they generally stock single copies at a time, if you're lucky!). You can then sign them all: in case any new authors or illustrators don't know, signed books can't be returned to the publisher, so remain on the shelves until they sell. I'm a regular embarassment to friends, and often check bookstores and then ask if I can sign their stock - every little helps!


So, I broke off drawing on Monday morning, to do a quickie in my local Waterstones. A small group of children had won book tokens, and Waterstones asked if I'd do a storytelling while they where in store spending them. I was pleased Waterstones had got lots of copies of Gnash, Gnaw, Dinosaur! and even a few hardbacks of Stinky! (which is great, as hardbacks are very hard to get onto the shelves).


I read Gnash, Gnaw, Dinosaur! for only the 2nd time ever. It's takes me a while to warm up to a book and get familiar enough to add in bits of fun and interaction. I tried to do different voices for all the dinos. This one's quite funny if you give it a butch voice: though he's all fluffy and pink, he actually wants to be tough.

6 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

How clever you are, I'll file that tidbit of info away... and hopefully be able to use it some day.

Joanna Dover said...

Yes! me too!

Lynne the Pencil said...

They are so quick these days to send back any books that don't fly off the shelves immediately, it's so frustrating.

Even though my Class Three all at Sea is on '3 for 2' (quite something in itself) my local Waterstones will only order 1 copy at a time!! Grrrrrrr....

nella gatica said...

wowwwwwww! My husband have just found a dino in Patagonia! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS29HnCN8Jg

Lynne the Pencil said...

My goodness! Was that your husband doing the digging out? How exciting!

Allen jeley said...

I teach this book few month ago to my student and its really good for study thanks for share it professional linkedin profile writers .