Thursday 16 July 2009

Drawing a Picture Book: Getting Past the Koala!


I've just drawn Bears On the Stairs spread 6: where the child bribes his way past the nose-picking koala with a glass of milk:


I like the simplicity of not having the doors showing through the banisters, so I'm wondering whether I can get away with just the floral wallpaper or, probably better, cutting the background altogether and having plain colour. We'll see.

It wasn't until I posted the illustration here that I realised the stairs were way too steep, so I've rotated everything a little (which has given me room to enlarge things slightly too - always good!):

A minor thing, but I'm wondering if Julia might consider changing 'get' to 'give', which would makes slightly better sense with the image...

3 comments:

cassia said...

what a difference that tilt's made. The second one works MUCH better!

Martha said...

I've been lurking here for a long time, but just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed it, and how glad I am that you're sharing the illustration process. It's fascinating to watch as this book takes shape.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks Martha - glad to have you lurking!