Tuesday 30 September 2008

Back To Some Real Work...



Yesterday was another one of sorting out sundries all day, so I'm determined to do some proper work today. OK, it's not quite school work, but this was the nearest image I could find for now!

I have been inspired to get back to it, by looking at other people's stuff. I have been sent a lovely, and very silly 'singing sheep' story, by the poet Giles Paley-Phillips. And take a look at the illustrated excerpts by Cassia Thomas for If You Go Down To The Woods Tonight written by Claudia Everest. It's a great idea and lovely pictures, but unfortunetaly not out quite yet. This invitation on the back of the book really made me smile - I love the dress code!

I had a good session last week, when I removed myself from the studio to avoid the distractions of the computer (see Too Many Distractions). I really progressed my ideas for one story in particular, so I am going to try working on those sketchbook ideas today and see how I can develop the drawings at my drawing board.

It's a very new way of working for me, because normally the text is set pretty much in stone by the time I start drawing. This time I can let my images spark new story directions, which is exciting but a little alarming!


Even when I've written my own stories before, I've always worked the text out completely, with images purely in my head. I am trying this out as a new system. It's a shame the weather isn't a bit more inspirational: it's blowing a gale and the rain is lashing at the studio windows. Brrrrrr...

6 comments:

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Hi Lynne, these are fabulous. Love the class room. What is it that you draw on? it looks like canvas?

Thanks for your comments. Great blog.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you!

It's on Canson Teintes pastel paper, which has a heavy texture. If you're interested, I talk more about it on the post: Tracing Up the Cover of Dragon's Dinner (on August 26th)

Anne said...

My gosh - do you ever have a day off. It must be lovely to be so creative and once you have all these amazing ideas I can imagine you want to see them on paper. Thinking about the bookmarks - Fynnjan's class are now all 'free readers' and I am sure they will all be getting books for Christmas. Can I buy some bookmarks for the school to give to the children in their book bags? Hopefully the mummys and daddys will then rush out and buy your books before anyone elses!
Anne

Lynne the Pencil said...

What a lovely idea! If you are just talking about one class, I can easily post you enough. Don't be silly by the way, they are free! Let me know how many you need and I'll pop a package into the post later this week when I get back from some library work in Wales.

Anne said...

That would be fab. There are 30 in Fynnjan's class - 210 in the school.
Enjoy the library work in Wales

Lynne the Pencil said...

No problem. It might be a few days though as it's such a busy time!