Sunday 25 May 2014

40th Birthday Party in the Sunshine


One of my best friends just turned 40 so John and I went to their house for a party last weekend. We had a great evening, all glammed up. Before you ask: I had way too many champagne cocktails to sketch! 

At some point on the far side of midnight, a neighbour nipped home and came back laden with a variety of musical instruments, including a pair of congas (4 foot high bongos). Needless to say, those who were staying overnight were still up at 3.30 in the morning. Unfortunately for people's hangovers, there were young children involved, so one or two people were up again at 6am. Luckily John and I were stopping a few doors down the road, so could lay in a bit longer, but the weather was so glorious, it seemed a shame to waste a moment in bed.


We were so lucky that the party fell in the middle of the lovely weather. We had a wonderfully relaxing chill-out day, sitting in the garden with our friends, eating BBQ sausage sandwiches and various party left-overs, while a couple of the menfolk messed with ropes and wood and built a platform for the children in a tree. Paradise. Every so often I whipped out my sketchbook.


Towards the end of the afternoon, while I was trying to do a sketch of the house, a couple of the little boys suddenly noticed what I was up to. They watched fascinated. The two year old immediately climbed on my lap (pretty much kneeling in my paints!) and began asking lots of questions and then demanding I use certain colours (he was very keen on pink). 


With a bit of rejigging, we squeezed him in next to me on the chair and I did my best to get the sketch finished under his forceful art direction! 


A lovely time spent with lovely people. Happy birthday G!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds and looks lovely

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

What a delightful sketch AND tale, Lynne! It almost mirrored my experience Friday night with three kids hanging over my journal page as I sketched!