Wednesday 17 February 2010

Yahoo - Free Money!!!!!!


Yes, it's that time of year again. I so love it when the PLR statement comes out in January, and I can see which of my books have been the most popular in libraries over the year. And I love it even more in February, when money appears by magic in the bank - yippee!

For those who don't know about PLR (or Public Lending Right) it's a government scheme, paid much like royalties, to compensate authors, illustrators, photgraphers etc for library lending: a payback for all the people who have borrowed books from libraries, rather than bought their own copy.


Although of course, it is money my books have actually earned (payments are calculated from a cross-section of British libraries, at 6.29p per loan), when I get my payout each year, it still feels like Father Christmas just made an unscheduled stop!

The sketches have nothing to do with all this, as I'm sure you've gathered: things just looked a bit dry without piccies, so these are some sketches done travelling about Sheffield recently. Above is My Beloved doing a pretty good job of ignoring the irritating woman sitting next to him with her sketchbook held high!

6 comments:

Kinga said...

Oh I feel good! I use libraries a lot and it made me kinda sad that I don't support the authors (even though I buy LOOOTS of books too!) but now that I know people get paid if I take the book out of the library I don't have to worry anymore that I can't buy all the books!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Ha ha - don't feel guilty about using libraries!

Actually, I feel a bit guilty about the amount of books I buy from Oxfam, but then, I guess at least it's another good cause I'm supporting, almost as important as starving authors... (just a joke guys - no angry emails please!!).

Claire Dean said...

We've had 'An Itch to Scratch' out several times from Chorley library - my boys love it! Will buy it as well though now it's being reprinted!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Wonderful - thank you Claire!

Acornmoon said...

Hurray for PLR, although I have to admit that my statement this year was not much to write home about. Even better is Payback from DACS, I hope you have registered for that one.

I stumbled across your blog recently and have been following for some time.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Yes, DACS Payback is another good one, although it's the other way round for me: DACS is certainly far better than a poke in the eye, but it's PLR that brings in most.

Glad you're enjoying the blog!