Monday 30 March 2009

Trying My Hand at Mime


Never let it be said I'm not game for a challenge...

After Friday's diagnosis (see Croaking to a Halt), I figured I'd have to cancel this Saturday's event: 'Reading Heroes', a big Family Day in Ashton Town Hall, where I was doing 3 storytelling sessions. But I really hate letting people down, and my presence there had been won as a prize, so I felt doubly guilty.

Then I thought some more, and realised I am much more an illustrator than an author, and could still draw...

I never thought they'd go for it: it did sound a bit mad, but I offered to bring all my props and direct operations, in a Marcel Marceau kind of way, if a librarian would assist with the actual reading. I could draw pictures on a flip chart to match the story, and we'd play it by ear.

The organiser said, 'Why not?'. We had a plan.

Marcel Marceau didn't blow his nose quite as loudly but, that apart, it didn't turn out too bad. Librarian Ruth Lomas was a star, diving in at the deep end to read several stories she'd not seen before, as well as singing my made-up songs! I played commander-in-chief, whispering in Ruth's ear. The kids took it all in good part and seemed to have fun.

The day had an added bonus: I met excellent comic artist SmS (yes, that's his name), also there to draw with the children. He even got them 'life drawing' the rather scary men wandering around in Starwars stormtrooper outfits! Plus I met Sam the Bubbleman: self-styled bubbleologist, proud owner of a Blue Peter badge, and in the Guinness book of records for the biggest bubble ever! I got to watch him put first a small child, then a big child and then a 6ft man INSIDE a big bubble:


What a strange and interesting day!

4 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

I'm sure I'm living in a parallel universe - the highlight of my primary school years was having a man come to tune the piano! Amazing day, those kids must have been so inspired!

Lynne the Pencil said...

I know - the only visitors I remember from school were the fireman and the policeman (and of course the nit-nurse!)

Coreopsis said...

It must have been a marvelous day for the kids. I would have LOVED to watch an illustrator draw when I was a kid (still would, actually), and if I were the librarian, I'd be happy to read just about anything--still am about that too, actually. I teach high school English, and find some kind of excuse to read aloud to my big lunking high school students just about every day.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Good for you!