Sunday 29 August 2010

Trying to Sound Intelligent (uh-oh)


This summer, I re-found a friend from many years back, who used to write with The Electric Tomatoes. She is now Curriculum Director at the Open College of the Arts, and asked if I would be up for doing a filmed interview for her students.


She and Mark, the film-maker, came to the studio last week. It took a couple of hours, first chatting through what we might talk about, then filming. I talked through what I do and explained how I got into it.


It was good fun and, because I was in the studio, I could pull all sorts of things out of drawers and off shelves, to illustrate what I was saying. Like these old sketchbooks from my student days in the early '80s, when I studied printed textiles.

It was their screen-printed covers at my degree show that got me my very first illustration job and, as a consequence, I never worked a single day as a textile designer!

5 comments:

Nikira said...

Wow, so interesting. Would it be possible to see the interview?

Lynne the Pencil said...

Hoping so Nikira. My friend says I can have the edited copy in a few weeks. I just have to work out how to put film onto the blog (mmm...)

Unknown said...

i've just found you! you sound super interesting! i'm just trying to start as an illustrator and i think you'll be really inspiring! keep like this! :-D glad to know you!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

You could load it to You-tube then do that 'share' thingy to put it on your blog... as you can tell that share 'thingy' is very technical... LOL I'd love to see the video too, it would be nice to associate a voice with you not just a picture.

Lynne the Pencil said...

I'll give it a go - I've never loaded anything to You-Tube either, but I'm sure I can figure it out and, if not (I am a bit if a tech-thicky) I'll ask you guys to help.