Thursday 24 August 2017

Preparing for My Residency


I am getting really excited now: my new residency, Urban Sketching into Textiles, where I'll be spending a month in a studio space in Orchard Square, is coming up really soon - I move in on September 2nd! 

The idea is for people to pop in and see me as I work (so please do, if you are local), but one drawback to the studio is that it is tucked away upstairs. It's a great spot, as it's nice and peaceful, but people could easily miss the fact that I'm there. So, with that in mind, Making Ways, who are running the residency, have funded an A board to put at the bottom of the stairs, to encourage people to come up, which will look something like this, but BIG: 


The image I've used is actually the very first textile piece I did, which I still love. I thought it was the closet to the subject matter I'll be concentrating on during my residency, since I'm basing my new textiles work on sketches I do around the shopping centre. 

I feel really honoured to have been chosen for this. Only 4 artists were selected and we are taking turns in the studio, a month each. Use the hashtag #artistupstairs to follow us all, from now until the end of November. For those who wonder what it's all about, here the background info:

Urban Sketching into Textiles is part of MakingWays, a new programme supported by Sheffield Culture Consortium through Arts Council England to showcase, celebrate and develop the exceptional contemporary visual art produced in the city.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

What a great opportunity for you! I hope it goes well. Would love to go to England to be one of your many (I hope!) visitors. Enjoy!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you Corinne :-)