Friday 21 August 2015

On the Pavement outside St Pancras Station...


Actually, to get the best view (and still be on the sunny side of the street), I was sitting on the pavement outside the neighbouring Kings Cross Station, but it was St Pancras I was interested in. I've been desperate to have a go at sketching it for ages, but I am so rarely in London any more and, when I am, I'm normally rushing around, trying to fit loads in.



To be honest, my recent trip to my publisher was no exception. I thought I'd sketch it after work, but we carried in until quite late and, by the time I had got back to my hotel, it was already 7.30 and I realised I was exhausted (and hungry for dinner). So, I got up good and early the next morning. 

Luckily, I was staying at the Kings Cross Travel Lodge, just across the road. I gobbled my breakfast, got packed up, checked out of the hotel and was on the pavement ready to start at 8.30am. I didn't have time to tackle the whole building - it's huge - so set up where I had a nice view of the clock tower at one end.


I was fortunate that I wasn't needed at Quarto until 10.00, so had an hour to spare before I had to be on my way. I decided on my 'watercolour first' technique, as it's nice and speedy. Then I worked into it with watercolour pencils and, finally, white chalk for occasional highlights.

Kings Cross is very busy. There were lots of tourists but also lots of people rushing past me on the way to work. Several stopped to have a look, one or two stopped briefly to chat. I just about managed to get done in time, though as usual I chopped the top off! 


And then suddenly it was time to go. I shoved everything into my bag and scurried off with my wheely suitcase to join the other commuters and get the bus to Quarto's offices: 


Next time I'm in London, if I can steal another hour, I'll tackle the front entrance of St Pancras I think.

3 comments:

Eleanor said...

I never fit the top of anything in - but I've just acquired my next sketchbook and it's A4 not A5, so that should help lol. But I expect I'll still have the same problem. Planning is everything and I don't. Your "wc first" method interests me. Must try that. It might get your good results :)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks Eleanor. I'm afraid that this one was A4 - it doesn't help :-D
The watercolour first is a great help though and really gives you a sense if progress when you're tackling something a bit daunting. Give it a try. Once I discovered it, I never looked back.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Nice job. I do the same hung. Drives me crazy.