Tuesday 18 February 2014

Giddy Goat at the Barbican Theatre


Disaster!! I just wrote this blog once, then managed to delete it after just 15 minutes. What a plonker. I'm not sure if I can remember all that I told you, but I'll do what I can. Grrrrrrr.....

Anyway, John and I went to London for a few days last week, which is why I have been blog-silent for a while. 

We went to spend time in some of the lovely, big London museums, but we also went to see something rather special: we had invitations to see the London Symphony Orchestra perform a new musical version of an old favourite from my back-list: Giddy Goat.

The production was on at the Barbican Theatre. The place was rammed with children when we got there. Photos were not allowed during the performance, but I snapped the one below quickly, as they were setting up, just to show you the space.

The beautiful score was written by composer Paul Rissman, originally for a much smaller, touring production in 2008 but, when he got a job working with the LSO's schools programme, he revisited the work and expanded it for a full orchestra. He also wrote several news songs for the children to join in with.


Paul was master of ceremonies too, reading Jamie Rix's lovely story while my illustrations were projected above the orchestra. He was brilliant with the children, making them laugh, introducing them to different members of the orchestra and leading them in song (there were actions too - amazing to watch the whole theatre alive with moving hands). 

John and I had special seats at the back, which was great as I could see the audience as well as the show. It was so lovely to see how totally engaged the children wereI had to stand up in my seat at one point and be clapped, which was fun. 


Giddy has been one of my most popular books, but it is quite old now. I looked it up and discovered it was published in 2003 - over 10 years ago. It went out of print, but was re-printed for the 2008 show. It had sold out again but - hurrah - this new production has brought it back to life, yet again! 

1 comment:

Creations By Mit said...

What a cool experience!! And how great is it that you are reaching audiences in a whole new way!?Congrats on the revival of Giddy Goat!