It took a while to get my head round how best to do the artwork. I am creating it at quarter size and in 4 sections, but it is still at the limit of what the computer can cope with. I have been scanning in all the individual children's drawings, like this tiger, trying to match the size of each to the low-res design I created, then cutting each out in Photoshop.
I then position each in a new high res version of my background illustration of the library space. It is taking WAY more time than I thought (naturally) and making sure the 4 sections match up exactly, when I can't open them all at once, has been making my head explode.
I sent the sample piece below through to the printer. This was the first section I finished and is the far left end of the design. The printer is going to do lots of test prints, trying out different kinds of papers, we will then paste the printed mural to the wall like wallpaper.