Friday 16 December 2011

Weston Park Meets Dr Sketchy!



This time last week was
Sheffield SketchCrawl day. We spent the morning in Weston Park Museum (where we SketchCrawled last year). I started with this rather sad and dried up octopus, laying down the watercolour first. I never have the patience to wait for paint to dry, so carry 2 sketchbooks, so I can start a new page in the meantime:




We were happily chatting and drawing the various dead things, and the time just flew, so there was barely time to finish this little skull before we had to leave: 



I ate a cheese sandwich on the move (after first dropping on the pavement), as we had to walk into town to take part in something a little different: Sheffield's first Dr Sketchy session.


It was a good job we were punctual, as the little room above the pub was full to bursting! Everyone was very excited. We weren't sure what to expect; all we knew was that it was a cross between burlesque and life-drawing.


Then the women appeared - in basques and flapper gear, fishnets and little laced boots. Red lipped and false-eyelashed to the hilt, they struck poses for us to draw, which lasted from 2mins to 15mins at a time. It was very colourful, so I was really pleased I had brought a small selection of watercolour pencils with me.





It was an incredibly intensive couple of hours, but we had a great time and produced tons of work in a very short time. Every so often, we held up our sketches and the models got to choose a winner. I won a prize for this one:




They had various prizes to choose from and I won this cute beret:




If you want to see more of the sketches I did, they are here (watch out by the way - some are even raunchier than these!)



2 comments:

Maureen said...

Great sketches from both the sketchcrawl and Dr. Sketchy's. Cool new hat, as well.

Unknown said...

Really love the octopus and the skull, my favorites :)