I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. Despite a lot of distractions, I got my head down last week and started to get my act together properly as the days wore on.
At last I am drawing properly and I have managed to visualise the whole of the new story that John and I have been brainstorming. My doggy characters have grown tighter and more focussed the more times I've sketched them and I feel that each member of their little gang now has a quite distinct personality.
I used my new book to choose different breeds that suggested personality types, then worked on further reflecting that in their body language, their voice and general demeanor. In this sketch though, they are having a bit of an argument with the dog above:
There's also a gang of rats in the story, most of whom are actually quite amenable, all except their rather scary leader.
We decided it would be funny to make the chief rat character a girl, and giving her a really girlie name would make her funnier still, so she is called Rosy.