Thursday 7 July 2011

Sketchbook from the Train - Drawing People


As I said last time, I have been out and about a lot lately, visiting schools: much more than is usual in June and July. 

 
There were not as many school invitations this March though, which is normally my busiest time of year, so I'm wondering if all the uncertainty about budgets has pushed things on a bit, and people are now trying to tuck visits in before everyone breaks up for the holidays.
 

Anyway, all that train travel has meant I have taken out my trusty train sketchbook out again. 



I have been filling it up steadily with a range of new victims, mainly heads and faces, which I seem to be mildly obsessed with, but occasionally other body parts, like this series of hands I tried to capture:

Problem is, I have been too busy to scan things in, so I thought I'd pop some on here to show you, now I have a moment.


As usual, they are all in my favourite 3B pencil. I carry a pencil case full of them in my handbag, all pre-sharpened and ready to go, as there is no time to mess about when you are trying to sketch people.


As I have mentioned before, I always try to draw clandestinely and never ask permission, so people won't be tempted to pose, and I capture them looking natural and relaxed.


If anyone would like to read more about how to draw people on trains without them realising, I wrote a long piece full of my top tips here.

1 comment:

ANAIS G. BURGOS said...

Wow, Lynne!!! What a fantastic collection...
Drawing people is so difficult to me...I'd love drawing like that ;-)
Congratulations my friend!