Tuesday 22 February 2011

Pastel Drawings


One of the drawbacks of my lovely, attic studio, is the fact that there is very little flat wall space: the walls not taken up with doors and windows mostly slope up to the apex.

In my previous studio, I would tack the artwork all over the walls as I finished it, gradually filling the room with colour. This is the safest way to temporarily store large, unmounted, pastel drawings (as long as you are careful not to lean back absentmindedly against the wall...).

It also meant I could constantly refer to the artwork as I worked on new pieces: important to keep the tonal values consistent and to match colours across the book.

Since I have no free walls now, I tack my finished artwork to the studio door. I'm about to run out of space, as you can see, but a little extra is being freed up again today, as I have to send a couple of illustrations down to Egmont in advance of the rest.

They are putting together a glossy brochure of new projects, for the Bologna Children's Book Fair next month, and my editor has decided to use the skating lamb and the flip-flop frog spread to promote Baby Goes Baaaa!
If I'm honest, it's a bit of a nuisance to have to break the momentum and start cutting mount card and parcelling them up, but I don't really mind, as it's very important that the book it promoted as powerfully as possible.

6 comments:

ANAIS G. BURGOS said...

Just beautiful, Lynne!
Lover all your works :)

Vivien said...

Lovely drawings, as always - so lively and with such vibrant design.

On Sunday I went to the Cast Gallery (copies of Greek and Roman statues) at the Ashmolean, and was drawing the (beautiful) head of a Greek, described on his label as 'Reclining Youth'. A little girl of about eight looked at the label and said to her mother "Oh look - it says Recycling Youth!"

Moish said...

a temporary fix, how about a clothesline going across your studio, from side to side, say in front of the shelf, or wherever you can see it from your desk, yet out of the way. you can even get a retractable hotel type, or just a hook on each side so you can remove it when not needed.

Anonymous said...

wow! it's so cute.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you guys. Nice idea about the clothes line Moish...

Leen Christens said...

Wonderful!