Wednesday 9 December 2009

More Playing With Sketches


The sketches I drew last week, at the conference, were done in semi-darkness, which is probably one of the reasons they are more gestural than usual (not unlike the one I did when a bit squiffy after the party, now I come to think of it, but this time I was quite sober - promise!).


I wanted to try to add a suggestion of the poor light, by playing around with tones and colours behind the linear work. Nothing very serious, literally playing really, but I thought I'd show you anyway.

Although I am rather interested in the energy of the coloured version above, I feel this almost monochrome version more successfully conveys my slight inability to make things out in the dim light:



I'm going to try and get back to some more experimental painting shortly, but getting my hands dirty again with real materials. The computer is great for warming ideas up, but it can make me a bit lazy, because there's no substitute for real, live mark-making. In the meantime though, here's a coloured version of the post-party sketch, in virtual pastels:

No comments: