Friday 24 April 2009

Back to Life Drawing


I've not done any life drawing since February, when I did those quickie sketches while teaching, and have not found time to go to any proper sessions since the couple I tried in early January!

So last night I made the effort. The group had to move out of the first place, and is now temporarily meeting in a community centre, about a 30 min walk from me.

I carried all manner of art materials with me, but in the end only used straight forward pencil. Not sure why. You can bet your life if I'd only taken a pencil, I'd have discovered a desperate urge for oil pastels!

Only 4 other people showed up, which was just as well, since the new room was only slightly bigger than a cupboard - I kid you not!! The light wasn't that great either - I really struggle in poor light since I started wearing glasses (I've found I can't sketch in pubs any more).

Having said all that, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I was pretty happy with the drawings too, given how long I've been away. The sheet at the top was two longer poses, the one on the left is 3 short ones, 5 - 10 mins each.

1 comment:

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks Ira. I've realised that it's actually quite liberating, not having to select something to draw, or decide whether to go for it or not.