Monday 24 November 2008

I Have Won An Award!!!!!!!


On Thursday afternoon, I packed my posh frock and spangly earrings, and took the train with hubby John to Stockport, for a book award ceremony. And guess what? Class Two At The Zoo has won the Stockport Schools Book Award! Yahooooooo!! I am thrilled to bits: though I have been shortlisted a few times, this is the first award I have ever actually won.

It's especially nice that it's Stockport, as I work with their School Library Service quite a lot, visiting local schools. The other lovely thing about this award, is that it's the children of Stockport who do the voting. Over 50 schools took part and they were a big part of the ceremony.

This is some of us prizewinners meeting the mayor. I am standing next to Tabitha Suzuma the KS4 winner, behind me is Nick Sharratt who won Early Years, and Julia Jarman is towards the left, looking at the camera.

There were 800 people in the Plaza theatre, including children of all ages, looking gorgeous with button-holes and corsages. It was children who came up on stage to announce the winners, and give the awards. Children had also pre-recorded readings from all the shortlisted books, which were played on a big screen.

Julia Jarman and I had to make a speech: I'm not sure I've ever spoken to 800 people before! We were up after Nick Sharratt (who is lovely). Nick won with Never Use A Knife and Fork, and balanced bagels on his head on stage. How to follow that!? Julia and I decided to do a double-act and read our book aloud, which went down really well.

We were each presented with a framed illustration, done by a local child. Mine is just FANTASTIC! It is a drawing of the anaconda grabbing Diana with his tongue, based on this page in the book (I'll put it on the blog when I can sort a photo out).


The following day, winners visited local schools, reading our books to children. I had a great time at St Simons' and St Thomas' (hello all) and at half time Julia and I were treated to a lovely buffet lunch, back at the School Library Service headquarters.

Everybody is so nice at Stockport SLS and looked after me really well (thanks Viv and Lindy for running me all over). It was a really special ceremony: thank you so much for everything. And a special hello to Susan Smith, who has been really poorly, but couldn't miss the event - get well soon!

21 comments:

granny grimble said...

Congratulations! A well deserved award, we are so proud of you. Can't wait to see the film of the event. XX

Gary said...

Aaaaaw! That is just fantastic! I would have been all dewey eyed at the children in their posh frocks and suits presenting prizes. It must mean so much that the children voted. The people have spoken!

Anonymous said...

I think your Class Two Went to the Zoo, is very funny, it makes us laugh.

I think your Class Three at the Sea, is great because the octopus won.

When is class four coming out?

Waiting eagerly :)

Annika, age 3 going on 6

CARLADALY said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

The children from grade 3/4 CD at Clayton South Primary School in Victoria, Australia have an idea for a book: Grade 4 at the store, they came up with this after listening to Grade 2 at the Zoo and Grade 3 all at sea.

Thanking you for great books which are enjoyed by all the children and teachers at the school.

Hoping that our suggestion inspires you.

nella gatica said...

Congratulations!!!!! and thank you for your comment in my blog!

Felicitaciones!!! y gracias por tu comentario en mi blog!

Alicia Padrón said...

Wow, congratulations Lynn!!!!! That is amazing news!! YAY! :o)

Croom said...

Congratulations Lynne, what an achievement. Grade 4 at the store sounds cool. :O)

Babs (Beetle) said...

Congratulations!! I've no doubt it was a very well deserved award :O)

weechuff said...

Well done Lynne! We are very proud of our talented niece! And may I add that you look absolutely stunning in your 'Posh Frock and Spangly Earrings'!!!

Unknown said...

You're a star and how stunning you look all poshed up -
this is fabulous news - congratulations!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you so much everybody for your lovely comments. Really appreciated!

Mattias Adolfsson said...

Congratulations you have a very charming style

Doda said...

Well done ! I'm sure this gave you a real boost.

Anne said...

As Fynnjan would say 'that is sooo cool'! Fantastic and richly deserved - hope the celebrations keep on going.
Anne

Roberta said...

Congratulations my daughter and I love the book...and that is indeed a posh frock!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne, just popped onto your blog and read the great news.You are so clever!Always knew you were heading for the heady heights.Looks like parties all round.
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Well done Lynne, well deserved of course and I love the dress (where are the pink leg warmers though?)
Catherine

Lynne the Pencil said...

Damn! I knew I forgot something. They would have set off the stockings perfectly...

Tomás Serrano said...

Congratulations. They are fantastic drawings.

Anonymous said...

Congrat! You deserve many accolades, you stuff is brilliant!!