Wednesday 23 September 2009

Illustrating a Picture Book: Feeling Much Better


This was the kitchen spread as I left it on Monday night:


...and this is how it looked, all finished, by only Tuesday lunchtime:

After such a long haul working on the complex bedroom spread, I was getting really worried about not being done in time, but things have speeded up again, thank goodness, and I clawed back half a day on the kitchen.

The next piece went really quickly too and took less than the day I allowed.

The background colour of this illustration will be knocked out in Photoshop once the scans are back, and flat colour dropped in, retaining just the spotty pattern and the light beam. This is to make sure it sits alongside the previous, full-bleed page without visual confusion. I coloured the wall anyway, as it was easier to gauge the other colours, especially the shining light, with the wall colour there.

There are 5 drawing days left and 3 pieces still to do. They all now involve repeating established colour schemes, so in theory they should run fairly smoothly too.

This is my desk shot tonight and, as you can see, I am well on with my next piece, the 'hiding bears' page:

There are still odd pieces with finishing off to be done (like the running away spread) but I'm feeling much more positive again and, thank goodness, pretty confident tonight that I'll meet next week's deadline.

7 comments:

Jill said...

We're all behind you on that deadline

michael robertson said...

wow! fantastic work! totally amazing...good luck!

Damian Harvey said...

I love the bear hanging on the lampshade Lynne. Lots of fun.

All followers visible again I see - must have been a temporary glitch. Though I could do with a few more myself :-)

Jess said...

You're going great guns and the work looks amazing!x

Candace Trew Camling said...

Hi Lynne, I have followed your blog for quite a while now... I will be traveling all over England and Ireland this spring. Are you aware of any museums in any part of England that are dedicated to illustration? I assume if there was someone to ask, you would be the person! I would also be interested in galleries showing children's illustration.

Your book pieces are looking fantastic!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Hi Candace. Glad you like Bears!

I have a few suggestions (you'll probably be too early for the V&A show, which is a shame):

http://www.sevenstories.org.uk/home/index.php

http://www.illustrationcupboard.com/exhibition.aspx

http://www.vam.ac.uk/activ_events/events/illustration_awards/index.html

http://www.theillustrationgallery.com/about-us

If any readers know of anywhere else to add, I too would be very interested.

Candace Trew Camling said...

Thanks so much Lynne! I am going to take all of these into consideration! I can not WAIT to see more of Europe and being able to go to a few of these will make it that much more special!