Monday 6 April 2009

Back From the Seaside


Going through emails and writing invoices this morning feels a bit dull, as I just got back last night from a smashing weekend of jiving in Scarborough.

I have never danced quite so much, for so long, in my life!! There were all sorts of different lessons end-to-end through the days, then jive parties in the evening and into the wee small hours of both nights (my poor, poor feet...).

I grabbed an hour or so rest, to shoot to the beach, enjoy the sun and do some quick sketches of the donkeys.

I didn't think they did seaside donkeys any more. They all looked very fluffy and very contented to be on their lunch break, with their heads stuck in nose-bags.

It was such a lovely day, I couldn't resist a brief paddle, which was mighty chilly, but refreshed the achy tootsies no end.

As you can see, I somewhat optimistically attempted a drawing of my paddling feet. Not the easiest view-point. I was also rather paranoid about dropping the sketchbook into the sea.

Sorry, I didn't even attempt to sketch the dancing - far too tricky, plus I was too busy being whirled around the dance floor myself. Yippee!

I really enjoyed myself, as you can probably tell. A lovely bunch of people too, most of whom I'd never met before, but jivers are so friendly.

OK. Back to real life...

8 comments:

Alex said...

Ooooh I'm so envious! What a brilliant weekend - dancing and the seaside. I love the donkeys - they look so cute and fluffy.

Coreopsis said...

Sounds like a marvelous weekend. I go to dance weekends sometimes--contradancing, and then scandanavian folk dancing.

No, can't draw yourself dancing.

Fancy, donkeys at the beach! What a wonderful thing.

Jess said...

It sounds so fun and you managed to find time to sketch too!x

Candace Trew Camling said...

what a dreamy sounding weekend! your sketches capture a sliver of the experience!

Lynne the Pencil said...

It was indeed fab and groovy! And who would have thought that having so much fun could be so good for you??

Lynne the Pencil said...

Hi Coreopsis - what's Scandinavian folk dancing like? And what's Contradancing??

Ira R said...

Love the sense of life in all these sketches.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

stunning