Wednesday 13 September 2017

Painting Punters in Costa Coffee House


I am still sketching away in Orchard Square and loving my studio space.

I enjoyed doing this painting outside Costa and it actually didn't rain - hurrah! As usual, several people stopped to say hello and I chatted for a while about what I was up to. It means each sketch takes a lot longer than normal, but engaging with people is a big part of the project, so I don't mind at all.


What I did mind was losing my favourite Leaf Green watercolour pencil. I couldn't understand where it had gone. I'd used it on the Costa painting, so I knew I had it but, even when I stood up and looked all round, it was nowhere to be seen. Mystery.

Until I noticed the very slight camber of the floor and the small drain grating a few feet behind me. I peered down through it and, low and behold, there was my pencil, bobbing in the water several inches down, well beyond finger reach. 

I phoned up the local art shop. They sold Inktense pencils. They even sold them individually, not just in sets. But guess which colour just happened to be out of stock? Yep.


Never mind, the good news is that John has made a couple of A2 poster boards for outside the studio, to let people know they can come in and chat to me. I realised that, through the window, it looks like a private workspace rather than an exhibition so, unless people already know, I'm guessing they don't feel they can come in and look.

I've been out and about a lot, with other work commitments up to now, but the next 2 weeks I'll be at Orchard Square every day, so it'll feel good to be able to really concentrate on the project and not be dashing all over the place instead. I'm there from around 9.00 - 5.30, so do drop by.

There are also still a few places left on the Urban Sketching for Beginners workshop this coming Saturday morning at 10.30, so drop me an email if you want to come along. Or, if you can't make this time round, but are interested in other workshops or events, sign up to my mailing list, so you're kept updated on what's happening.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a marvel, Lynne--a real inspiration.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you. To be inspiring to others makes me extremely happy :-)

Tom Cunliffe said...

Just found your blog thanks for FB USK group. Love your book - very helpful for one who finds it difficult to put people in his sketches

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks Tom - so glad to hear that it has helped :-)