To help to make the cover as punchy as possible, I didn't want the two background colours to be drawn in pastels but to be dropped in digitally. However, even at the point when I was colouring the final pastel artwork, I didn't have much idea of which colour combination I wanted to use for the background.
But this week, once I had cut away the pastel paper in Photoshop, I suddenly had to decide. I wanted to stick to the colour palette from the inside illustrations, so I tried out some alternatives. My first thought was the pink and blue above. It's nice and rich, but felt a little heavy. The yellow and turquoise below seemed more lively and threw the characters and text forwards more: