Wednesday 10 April 2013

Filmed on Location: Sketching in Watercolours



We've tried a few times to film my workshops and lectures, but the events which have granted us permission to film, have all taken place in a shared space, like in a library, which means too much background noise. The recording John made at the Hallam University lecture was the same: there were students in an adjacent studio, chatting, laughing, coughing or just walking about, which on the film made it sound like my audience was bored!

So, we decided to try something different - a film of me sketching out on location. We went for a walk up into the Limb Valley and John filmed over my shoulder at I painted. 


It was weird though: I had thought, after all these years of sketching in public, that being filmed would be no problem at all but, for some reason, I found it incredibly off-putting. The camera, which needed to be right beside my face, to provide the best view of the sketchbook, felt really oppressive. The pressure to do something 'good' meant, of course, I was convinced I was creating rubbish from the very outset. Despite my smiles at the end of the film, I was very grumpy (poor John)! It's a good thing we decided to go for a voice-over, otherwise you'd have had to listen to all my grumbling and swearing.

Hopefully you can't tell that from the film though. I still think I've done better sketches, but I'm hoping it's interesting to watch it evolve on the page and hear why I am making various creative decision during the process. 




If you do enjoy it, please share it with your friends. Plus, if you like this one and haven't yet seen any of the others, take a look at the film page on my website or subscribe to my YouTube channel.

5 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for posting this video. I am a beginner and like to see how the "pros" do it. The ongoing commentary is also very helpful. And I do love your style.

Vivien said...

Very interesting to see your method, and the difficulties weren't apparent at all!

What sort of pencil were you using for the trees? Didn't quite catch the words (my ears, not your speech!)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks guys - glad you found it interesting.

The pencils are watercolour pencils Vivien. I mainly use Derwent's Intense range.

Anonymous said...

You make it look so simple! Always find your sketches hugely inspiring, and especially so when you show them happening in animated form. Thanks, Lynne!

Vivien said...

Lynn - Thanks for your answer. Your sketches are always enlivening and done with so much more skill than appears on the surface.