Monday 8 August 2011

Staking Out Yorkshire Sculpture Park


I have been plotting with the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in Wakefield! We have cooked up a day out for my SketchCrawl group. We will join forces with the Wakefield Sketchcrawlers, as well as any other visitors to the park, and spend the day there with our sketchbooks on September 10th

It'll be nice to see the Wakefield team again, as it was going out with them on their first SketchCrawl that got me hooked and inspired me to start the Sheffield group.


This sketch, of an enormous Mitoraj marble, was one I did on my very first trip to the YSP, back in 1992, and I was delighted to discover, when I went with John on Thursday, to meet with Helen, the curator, that the Mitoraj is still there, as part of the permanent collection.

The park is a massive place, with so much to see that we can't possibly draw it all during one SketchCrawl, so the idea of Thursday was for Helen to give us a guided tour of the current exhibitions, as well as the very recently opened lakeside footpath, to work out some kind of route and schedule for our day.


The forecast was for storms, so we got off very lightly with just the occasional shower and had a lovely day. The show that everyone's been talking about, the Jaume Plensa, is indeed stunning and will still be on when we go back - it's been so successful, it's been extended! 

I will of course be publicising the schedule here, along with more details, nearer the time. But mark the date in your diary!

6 comments:

Julie Clay Illustration said...

Ooh goody, I was hoping to drag the husband to this exhibition, I live in Wakefield, didn't know they had a sketchcrawl?? I shall hopefully tag along, I'm looking forward to it already. I do enjoy your blog, always enthusiastic! Cheers, Julie Clay.

Lynne the Pencil said...

It'll be great to see you there.

If you click the link re Wakefield SketchCrawlers, you should eventually find an email for Helen Thomas, who organises them. Or if you want to email me, I'll give it to you.

See you soon!

BrandNewStudio said...

BeautifulWork
goodcreations

Erin K said...

Such cute little illustrations! I can see how doing illustrations for children can be quite rewarding.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Hi Lynne,
that's a Saturday, right? I'd love to come along. Where will you post the times and where to meet info? Cheers.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Great! I've sent all the details out on my SketchCrawl e-newsletter. Can you drop me an email so I have your email address? I can then send you the details and I'll add you onto the mailing list if you would like.