On Wednesday morning I started on the crocodiles (N is for 'Nana'), then had to stop. I suddenly remembered - I wanted to make a visual joke out of the book they are reading: it's going to be a copy of Baby Goes Baaaa! itself.
But, since we haven't yet decided which, if any, of my cover designs will be used, let only what colour the cover will be, I couldn't progress. I couldn't even work on other aspects of the illustration, beyond the crocs themselves, in case I chose colours that wouldn't work against the book.
In the printed book, the koalas will sit opposite the skating lamb, so I tacked that artwork to the drawing board alongside, so I could make sure the tones and colours coordinated.
I decided to start by building up the different blue-greys and violets of the fur, to mould the koalas tonally, putting the darkest areas of the noses, and the colours of their outfits in last.
Then it got dark and I had to stop, as I couldn't judge colours properly.
Thursday was my teaching morning and, once again, the afernoon got gobbled up with admin to do with my forthcoming batch of school visits, so the koalas have been floating in limbo. But I'm back to rescue them this morning.