Tuesday 2 August 2011

The Layouts are Here!


There's been so much going on throughout July that I'd almost forgotten I am in the middle of a couple of books! This week though we start a new month and I am back to real work with a vengeance.

On Monday morning, my friendly postman delivered a package - jiffy bags always mean something interesting... This one was no disappointment, as it contained the coloured layouts for Baby Goes Baaaaa!


They are not the actual proofs, just print-outs, but the colours look pretty good. This is the first time I have seen how it all looks together, and not just as files on the computer.
 
It seems ages since I finished working on the scans. Things have been going on in the background though - it has already been shown to oversees publishers and to Waterstones for feedback.


I'm really pleased with how vibrant and fun they are looking. I also love what Peter and Sarah (my editor and designer at Egmont) have done with the 'extra spread' below:


I can't remember if I told you, but I did a fair bit of educational research into phonics and early development during the initial stages of this book. We thought it would be useful to share some of what I learnt with the reader, to help parents maximise the educational potential of the book, so we held back one spread to give us room.

What I'm working on now though, are the reworks for the sequel. This is still about baby learning by copying, but based on actions rather than sounds. We have decided it will definitely be called Baby Can Bounce


There are quite a lot of changes to be done to my roughs but, to be honest, the feedback from Egmont was all good stuff, so I don't begrudge making the alterations. I'm about half way through them now. They love the spider idea though (phew!) I'll share some of the details with you when I'm done.

Best get back to it...

5 comments:

June said...

I wish I could sit next to you as you work, and catch some of your energy to produce so much!
You are always so inspiring. The printouts are looking good. Keep up the great job with 'Baby Can Bounce'.

Anonymous said...

Wow they are sooo good, love th bright colours, well done x

Angela said...

They look great! I've been following some of these illustrations and have just been in awe! I wish I could do what you do, but wasn't blessed with that particular gift. I look forward to more! :)

Aisling Kiernan said...

These look great. I am so impressed with your exhibition. I am also in awe of your energy. You manage to fit in so much. But the thing that always comes across is your passion and joy. You are my first stop when I need some inspiration!Thank you for sharing so much of your process and your life.

Anonymous said...

It's always great to see. Very inspiring! :)

---
http://alexvegaman.blogspot.com/