Wednesday 17 May 2017

Everything is a Drawing Opportunity...



Yesterday, John and I had to drive out into Derbyshire, to the village of Rowsley, to visit a lovely art gallery called Gallery Top. We were looking for a 50th birthday present for a friend. We weren't after a painting, but a piece of nice and unusual jewellery. The gallery in Rowsley has both paintings and jewellery, as well as glassware and ceramics. It was a feast for the eyes and we got what we needed (which I would show you, except I can't be 100% certain that my friend won't be looking in!).


Anyway, I took a sketchbook with me, because I felt in the mood for a bit of drawing. It was such a lovely drive, I decided to rise to the challenge of sketching out of the car window as we were going along. I've done this many times before. It is always quite hard-going and fairly frustrating, because the roads twist and turn. Which means that, as well as everything rushing past the windows at a crazy rate, the perspective of the road in front is constantly changing.


I did my best though. These are the most successful of the half a dozen I ended up with. The trick is to keep building up the image with bits stolen from the new views which enter the windscreen. And of course to draw like the clappers! One things for certain - the concentration it takes makes the journey disappear, so you are home in the blink of an eye.

5 comments:

Eleanor said...

You make me laugh - "draw like the clappers"!! I do this when in the malls, and those people are only walking past. You must be supercharged to do it from a car - and it worked out really well :) And you didn't get motion sickness either!

Eleanor said...

Seems I can't edit a typo in my web address here - never mind. It's unimportant.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Yes! It doesn't always work though and I often get VERY grumpy when I am having trouble with the roads changing too much. Lots of muttering under the breathe and occasional curses. Good job I am contained in a car. I'm sure you are far more polite :-D

Penelope Postcards said...

What an interesting challenge. This is really what I call "going with the flow" artistically speaking. Incidentally, I like your new somewhat (giggly?) photograph at the sidebar. :)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks Penelope. Realised I'd still got my old spiky hairdo on the previous one. That's the trouble with changing your hair! ;-D