Friday 24 March 2017

Drawing Under the Beedy Eye of a T.Rex!


Things are getting really interesting lately...


One of the things I was hoping for, as a result of my Morgan Centre residency last year, was that more paid urban sketching jobs might come along. I figured that, if I show enough people what I have been doing, via the wonders of social media, something might pop up...


Well, it's starting to happen.  I just got booked to be artist-in-residence in Brighton, at the University & College Union conference, at the end of May!

It sounds like it will be a massive affair, with lots of different things going on at the same time. I'll have 2 days, wandering around, capturing as much as I can of what's happening. They are also looking into ways of projecting the work as I go along, so that all the delegates will be able to see what I'm up to. It'll be great fun to get a free trip to the seaside - I'm sure I can squeeze in a paddle at some point.



There are also 2 ongoing residencies with Manchester University. As well as the Dementia & Creativity project I told you about recently, I have been booked to do a couple of days more work on the Synthesising Menthol project, which I was first introduced to through the Morgan Centre, last year. The sketches here are from my first day, last Saturday. The researchers set up a stall in Manchester Museum (under the dinosaurs!), to talk to passers-by.



They are interested in people's associations with and use of menthol products, as well as their attitudes to the concept of something as natural as menthol being replaced by a synthetic alternative, created from bacteria, especially in the context of products which you put in your mouth, like cough sweets, cigarettes, mouthwash etc. There's more info on their blog page.

As usual, I am having great fun and learning new things.

No comments: