Wednesday 16 April 2014

Sharing Ideas with Julia Jarman


Generally speaking, authors and illustrators don't get together to chat through new book projects. I get the text from the publisher, not the author and, as I work on my illustrations, I talk with the art director and designer, not the author, sending my ideas, roughs and eventually my artwork to the publisher, never once having had any contact with the author. It surprises people, but that's quite normal.


It's a bit different though with Julia Jarman. When an author and illustrator team up for several books, they can become friends and often start to work more closely, certainly at the start of a project. Julia and I have done 5 books together now and are a good match - we think alike and we laugh at the same things. Which is why we work so easily together and why we get on so well too.

Julia often emails me stories she is working on and would like me to illustrate, asking for my input. Julia's writing is very visual: as I read one of her texts, I can immediately see illustrations in my head. This gives me a slightly different perspective to Julia and my take on things can help her to fine-tune the wording, before she sends it to the publisher. 



We were working on a new story last week and several drafts of it went back and forth between us by email. I'm not actually drawing anything at this stage, but Julia knows my work so well, it only takes a few words for me to paint a picture for her of what's in my head. 

I can't tell you anything specific, but I think it's going to be a good one and am really crossing my fingers that the publisher takes it. 

3 comments:

Jagoda said...

So am I! Fingers crossed! :)

storygirl said...

I watched 2 lovely films today where you explained about becoming an illustrator and showing some of your work. They gave me confidence (I'm a just starting out illustrator)and I really enjoyed the way your personality seems to come through your illustrations (not that you are anything like a warthog though!)I'm sure your new book will be fantastic too. Thanks!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Ha ha, thank you :-D I am so pleased that my films have helped. Good luck with your work!